Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Walk in the Spring Garden

Spring has been quite hectic this year.  Rushing around trying to complete various chores before the heat sets in and before plants and weeds get too big.  This last week the temperature has been climbing higher and higher, humidity even set in.  In response the season came on with a bang.  Trees are showing off full cloaks of green and perennial flowers are starting to bulk up.  I decided I needed to get out with the camera before it all flew right by me.

The tulips are still blooming but starting to look slightly worn.  I expect we'll only get a few more days out of them.

Van Eijk tulip

Angelique tulips started out a soft pink and have darkened over the last week
Last year the bleeding hearts were just starting to form flowers at this time.  The weather has been much nicer this spring and as you can see the plants are full grown and flowering profusely.

The bleeding hearts have begun their annual explosion
Other spring blooming perennials are just producing buds.

The flowers of Anemone sylvestris are just beginning to open
Heuchera sanguinea 'Ruby Bells'
In the vegetable garden the perennial plants are have sprung forth and we have started to enjoy our first meals of fresh grown asparagus this week.


Some of the shoots got a little large before I got to picking!  Oops.  They grow awful quick when it heats up.  You can see our gigantic rhubarb in the background.  Rhubarb crisp will be on the menu in the next few days.

Blooms are also appearing on trees and shrubs.

Starry blooms of Serviceberry
This red elderberry is set to burst into hundreds of tiny blossoms
Flowers on pin cherry trees
Of course the list wouldn't be complete without the buds of the apple trees.  The orchard is turning pink and soon we will be overtaken with blooms.


My tour took me to see some of our trees planted last season.  This dwarf alberta spruce was covered in new needles.  It likes it's new home.


I had completely forgotten about this Pagoda Dogwood.  We planted it in April when it had no leaves and now it has leafed out completely and looks amazing.


The great thing about this walk is that I was able to see all the trees and shrubs planted out in the meadow easily due to the new path cut by Jody.


This year we won't have to lug buckets of water through thick grass.  Instead we can leisurely stroll through and check on the trees progress and take evening walks amongst the wildflowers.

29 comments:

Jane said...

Your garden and trees look and sound lovely Marguerite! I like the balance between trees, shrubs, flowers and edibles!

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

I love the look of a mown path through a meadow, it's so inviting. Your bleeding hearts look spectacular! I thought mine were gone last year, but this spring I had one plant return to eek out a few blooms, but nothing like the gorgeous rows of hearts on yours. I'm also envious you can grow tulips. The deer here don't allow us to grow tulips, well, not for very long anyway!

Fishtail Cottage said...

Beautiful! Everything is so pretty ~ your photo of the coral bells is especially pretty! Would love to have you share your garden posts over here at the Cottage Garden Party (Thursdays).... xoxo, tracie

Melanie J Watts said...

I love mown paths/ I had one at my old place in the BC Peace. I enjoyed the garden tour but I envy you eating asparagus, mine won't be ready for a couple years yet.

Laurrie said...

This is such a great time of year as everything wakes up and puts on its prettiest things. The path is an absolute must. Last year my husband starting mowing strips in the weedy meadow to my baby trees and it has become a wonderful walking / strolling path for me.

I will want to see the apple orchard in full glorious bloom! There is nothing like it.

charlie b. said...

Great photos!! Spring is so wonderful, when everything is coming back to life, and the various birds return. Here in southern Michigan, the hummingbirds are back now. : )

Diana Studer said...

love the winding path across the meadow.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Marguerite your Angelique tulips turned out much nicer than mine .. I was really disappointed in them .. but Ballerina has been stunning so now I know which ones to order ! haha
Your garden is really jumping ahead like ours here .. I am exhausted from just doing a few chores .. and there is so much more to get done .. I am afraid we will not have Spring but jump straight to hot humid summer .. I am so NOT ready for THAT !
Love the path that is cleared for you now .. I love paths something magical about them : )
Joy

Island Threads said...

your garden looks lovely bursting forth so many beautiful blooms, very sensible the mown path allowing you to enjoy the meadow easily, Frances

Jennifer said...

Hi Marguerite, If the warm, no "hot" weather we have had here is any indication you will be skipping from spring flowers right into summer very soon! LOL The tulips are lovely. Next year I am planting some of the double ones like yours.
P.S. That chicken shi-- sign is hilarious front and back.

Anonymous said...

Don't you just love the intense greens here this time of year? It almost hurts the eyes!
I was THIS close to hitting the Canoe Cove garden sale, but me being me, did not. Maybe next year, lol.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Love the bright red of the Ruby Bells Heuchera! Our Elderberries in the woods are in full bloom now.

Anonymous said...

I did a double take on the post date. Tulips here are all gone, even the late blooming varieties. The mid-eighty degree weather got them all last week. Very pretty tulip portraits. The rest of the photos are lovely as well.

GardenGoddess said...

Love your photos, Marguerite! I have the angelique tulips, too and they did quite well this year. But my bleeding heart was a no show. Glad to see yours was lovely!

Marguerite said...

Jane, I admit I love all plants. I would be bored if I just had a garden with only flowers or veggies. This way there's always something to look at.

Marguerite said...

Clare, I was beyond thrilled when I realized PEI doesn't have any deer. When we lived on the west coast we were inundated with them and it's an absolute joy to garden here without worrying about what expensive plant is going to become some four legged critters dinner.

Marguerite said...

Thanks for the invite tracie. I would love to participate but I'm terrible at posting regularly. I will try to visit though and catch up on your beautiful garden.

Marguerite said...

those years will pass quickly Melanie. I planted this asparagus the first year we moved in here and this is our first year eating it. It was a joy plucking those after all this time and worth every bite.

Marguerite said...

Laurrie, you're right about the path. We kept talking about it but never did it. Now I don't know how we managed. It makes life so much easier and it looks great too.

Marguerite said...

Thanks Charlie. We just saw our first hummingbird of the season a few days ago. It really must be summer now!

Marguerite said...

Thanks Diana. I'm not sure how hubby knew to make the path curved but he did a great job and those curves just beg for you to take a walk.

Marguerite said...

Joy, I worry about the jump to summer too. One day it's pleasant and then that humidity kicks in, ugh! I loved the early start this year but things are speeding along a bit too quickly. I loved the Angelique tulips but didn't realize how much taller the Van Eijk would be. The colours blend but they look a little silly with the taller heads popping up above everyone else.

Marguerite said...

I'm really enjoying how many more blooms there are this year too. All those plants I've been tucking in for the last two years are starting to pay off!

Marguerite said...

I wasn't sure if I would like the doubles as much as the singles but the Angelique tulips were a treat. A little extra oomph but not overly ruffly.

Marguerite said...

Kim, there's nothing like 'new' green this time of year. My favourite colour. Would be nice to see you at the sale but I completely understand, sometimes its hard to dig myself out of my hole and be social.

Marguerite said...

Janet, our elderberries are also blooming now too. wow, so far away from each other and yet those shrubs are on the same schedule! I too love the shot of bright red on the heuchera. It's just a tiny spray but it's got big impact.

Marguerite said...

Hi Donna, yes we're a bit later behind here than many other places. Funny though as we're actually ahead of schedule this year! My bleeding hearts are a couple weeks ahead of where they were last year.

Marguerite said...

Auntie K it's really you!!! I'm so excited. Welcome back. I"m coming to visit right now.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how much is going on in the garden at this time of year -- especially this year! I've been trying to put soaker hoses down and mulch around plants that are already fully up and leafed out and wishing I could have gotten to it about 3 weeks earlier. Your bleeding hearts look very happy. -Jean