Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Accepting Change

The world feels broken right now.  For many reasons.

 Close-Up Photography of Hand Near Window

Here in Canada, the population's conflicting medical and political views recently resulted in an angry mob descending on our capital city and conducting a volatile sit in.  While I appreciate a good protest this was different.  What I have seen in the last months is not just frustration with medical protocols but includes threats, intimidation, racist, sexist, and homophobic behaviour.  People are expressing not just frustration but hatred toward points of view they don't share.  There is a level of intolerance that, while it doesn't completely surprise me, is disturbing in its size and vitriol. 

Why this has occurred is something the experts will probably analyze for years to come.  I am just one voice among many but it seems to me that the world has changed quickly and there are many who don’t like or want change.  I will admit I have a hard time with it too.  I’m getting older and change doesn’t come quite as easily as it once did.  I find myself frustrated at times, why am I always having to learn something new?  Why can’t things be consistent?  Good grief, I even have to learn new words.  I have a pretty broad vocabulary but I feel out of touch many days.  

Rapid change can be unsettling and, I think, cause fear.  Fear leads to anxiety, aggression, or panic.  It can be expressed in negative ways such as hostility, or anger.  The world has experienced so much change these past two years.  People have lost jobs, their daily schedules are altered, new rules are imposed, they fear for their health and the health of their loved ones.  Sadly these fears are being expressed as hostility and directed at people who inadvertently represent change.  Immigrants, nurses, politicians, people of colour, minorities and the LGBTQ community are some of the many who have anger directed at them. 

 

What is happening is not okay.  You can be frustrated with policies, you can protest to preserve rights.  But threatening people because they are unlike you and don't share your beliefs is unacceptable. We need to do better as a society.  I can't change the world but I personally can change.  I have previously been uncomfortable with the declaration of pronouns.  I didn't think it necessary.  But it has occurred to me that it is necessary for some people.  By displaying their pronouns they are putting themselves at risk but also proudly expressing who they are and asking for respect.  It's a small step but what better way to show support, to let people know that I am a safe haven and respect them.  Let's leave hate and fear behind and let our fellow citizens know they are loved and supported.   Let's tell the world we have their back.  Change can be good.



Marguerite

She/Her

No comments: