Working on the entrance bed is the answer to that.
This bed has gone through a lot of changes in the last couple years and I continue to pick away at it this season. (you can read more about the trials and tribulations of creating this bed in this post)
At the end of last summer this bed was a mess. I didn't have the time to complete such a big project and I had jumped ahead too quickly, buying plants I wasn't ready to put in the ground. Half the bed was covered in weeds and the other half had plants thrown into the ground haphazardly before the snow flew. I knew I needed a better plan when I started work again this spring. To add to the trouble, in January I watched the garden flood and realized it was imperative that I think a little harder about the placement of plants. So I drew a picture.
Actually as you can see this version was my fourth picture. It wasn't the last either. In fact, the plan I finally went with was changed on the fly as I worked in the garden this spring but it was really helpful having an idea in mind as I worked.
Initially when I started the clean up it was mid-April. The ground was damp and the weather cool. Digging was relatively easy and I spent hours in this garden developing a rhythm. I started in the area most overcome with weeds, digging and pulling. Hauling weeds away (and never ending glass shards) then hauling fresh compost back and beefing up the soil. The sides of the bed were edged, plants were moved and then finally mulch topped it all off.
|I started in the weediest sections|
|Clearing ground a few feet at a time|
|At the beginning of June I had only finished this small section|
|As seen from a dirty upstairs window!|