In my last post you saw a partial list of my new plant purchases. They've got to go somewhere and in an attempt to decrease my time spent digging I rented a sod cutter this year. If you haven't used one before, a sod cutter is a gas machine that cuts off the top layer of grass and soil. It does not remove tap roots or turn the soil. I chose to rent this machine because sod removal was exceedingly time consuming last year. I considered just renting a rototiller but tilling the ground would have meant that weeds and grass would have still been in the beds and required removal by hand. I also worried about hitting hidden objects with a tiller. Thus far this season I have found glass, 6 inch long nails, scrap metal, pop bottles and a penny in the dirt. Not to mention rocks.
We rented the machine for an entire day and worked like we have never worked before. I had imagined that rolling up sod and moving it to the compost would be a fairly easy job. Not the case.
It is insanely heavy. So I thought I would give the sod cutting a shot since it looked like the easier job.
Nope, that wasn’t easy either. The sod cutter is a heavy machine and although they say it’s self propelled I’m not so sure about that. I had to push my entire weight behind that thing to make it move and even then I couldn’t seem to get the blade to dig in and cut. So back I went to hauling sod around.
After a full day of work we completed the following areas. The flower bed around the garage.
We created the smiley face bed also behind the garage.
We added more vegetable beds.
In front of the house we added a small circular bed.
And we expanded the entrance bed.
You're probably thinking this sounds like an awful lot of beds. It is. The reality is that I will not likely use all these beds this year. The idea was that while we had the machine in our possession we would cut as much as we could in the time we had. The machine cost just over $100 for the day so I wanted to get my value out of it. If I don't use the beds there's no harm done. Those beds I'm not able to turn over will be covered with cardboard and semi-finished compost where they can wait until I'm ready to make use of them.