Friday, May 11, 2012

Triumphs and Tragedies

Another busy week here on the corner.  Spring is slipping by.  To start, a Triumph.  After securing financing we thought we would have to wait for the roof.  There’s generally a waitlist and we expected the work would not happen until much later in the summer.  Surprise!  There’s a gap in the scheduling and the roofers are coming TUESDAY.  By this time next week the new roof should be in place.

Goodbye curled shingles and missing tabs!
As I always find, highs come with lows. Tragically the weather has been exceedingly wet this week and I have not been able to get into the garden to finish my spring chores.  This weekend the weather is expected to be lovely but my garden plans have been thwarted again as I will be up on a ladder prepping the roof. Due to issues with the previous roof and placement of gutters the faceboards all have extensive damage.  So this weekend we must remove the gutters and replace all the rotted faceboards before the roofers come.  There will be painting and nailing and no time for flowers.

So with that in mind I took a quick walk when I got home tonight. There’s so much to see right now. The recent rain has brought forth a new wave of growth and everywhere I look I see green.

Needles beginning to emerge on larch trees

Leaves are appearing on birch trees
Angelique and Van Eijk tulips

11 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Be careful up on those ladders. You can take pictures of your garden while you are up on those ladders. Get a birds-eye view.

Angela said...

You have a wonderful blog! The tulips are quite lovely.

Diana Studer said...

Those fresh green leaves unfolding are in complete contrast to curling shingles. Will the new roof be fresh shingles? Or something else?

Marguerite said...

I hadn't thought about photographing from up there but you're right. Although I must admit I'm pretty shaky on a ladder so the camera is best hung around my neck so I don't drop it.

Marguerite said...

Thanks Angela, welcome to the blog! Those tulips are wonderful aren't they? The Angelique ones were a gift from a neighbour and they're such a lovely light pink colour.

Marguerite said...

I hadn't thought of that! Good eye. Yes the roof will be new asphalt shingles although we are spending extra money on a heavier shingle that hopefully will have a somewhat longer lifespan. The wind around here does terrible things to shingles though.

Jane said...

My sister went with a bright red metal roof on her farmhouse. I may do a metal roof eventually, though not likely red. My shingles are relatively new so have time to save up. I do have a shingle to replace however, due to that wind you were talking about!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

You are really something to be able to fix the face board on the roof overhang. I am impressed. The way your roof looks it is a good thing to have it replaced soon! Water creates such damage.

Marguerite said...

Lots of people do metal roofs around here and I understand why. Wind does so much damage and ashphalt eventually disintegrates. I love the red roof on your sisters house, suits it just perfect but I can see why you may not go that colour. We stayed with plain old black as it's the most versatile in terms of changing the house colour.

Marguerite said...

Janet, I can tell you I only watched as those faceboards went up! and Jody had a lot of frustration trying to make them look right. But the work is done now thank goodness and we can proceed to the next step.

Jennifer said...

Hi Marguerite, There is lots of work that needs to be done in the garden at this time of year and so I can understand your frustration. It must be exciting at the same time to know that this big project will soon be underway.