Friday, June 11, 2010

Triumphs and Tragedies

It's Friday again.  That special time of the week where I take a walk around the yard and take stock of what's happening.  The good AND the bad.  I wouldn't want to imply that I'm perfect and only show you photos of bright, fully formed, perfectly lit flowers.  Although that's tempting.

Tragedy
My Tiny Tim tomato.  It looked quite luscious when I brought it home from the nursery.  I was excited by all the tiny tomatoes it would bring into my future.  But Tim's looking a little under the weather.  It rained and it rained and his leaves started looking a little mouldy.  Then I noticed the spots and the curled leaves.  This can't be a good sign.  I went to my books, where I go when there's trouble, and The Vegetable & Herb Expert showed me pictures of all the possible tomato troubles.  OH NO.  please please please don't let it be...mosaic virus.  No cure and it will infect my other tomatoes.  Oh Tim, it's been nice knowing you.  Sorry you've got to leave so soon.

Triumph

The spinach is coming!  The spinach is coming!  and the leaf lettuce, the chamomile, the radishes....


Tragedy

There's something not quite right here, hard to put my finger on it.  Oh right, there should be leaves on that tree!!!  On the top that is.  If anyone can explain what's going on here I'd appreciate it.  All I know is there's got to be something wrong but I haven't a clue what.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oh poor Tim! Better kick the bum out quick! I have no clue what's going on in that tree! It's quite odd looking!

Anonymous said...

I have a tree that looks like this, this year as well. Very sad looking.

Kyna said...

I don't know what's going on with that tree. That was happening down here in NC with all of the southern magnolias...ours was from lack of rain though, I do believe. I started watering my magnolia (which is usually drought tolerant, but I guess it's too much this year), and now it's bouncing back a little.

Marguerite said...

@ Laura - he's gone now, to the dumpster with him, and quickly replaced with Sweet Millions tiny tomatoes, better luck this time around.

@ kilbournegrove - has your tree had this just this year or for a couple years? Because we're new to this property I have no idea of this tree's history. I asked my neighbour but he's also recently moved in and doesn't remember what this tree has looked like before.

@ Kyna - you might be on to something. We had very little snow this year and therefore conditions are extremely dry. A tree this big would need a lot of water.