Friday, July 16, 2010

Triumphs and Tragedies

Posts have been a little scattered in the last week or two but I think we're back on track now which means it's time for Triumphs and Tragedies.

How about a little Triumph to start things out.
mmmmmmm, apples.  I'm thinking apple cider and apple chips.  How about you?

I don't know what to qualify this next one as.  Months ago I saw little green shoots popping up around the trees near the front drive and assumed they were daffodils.  They did not bloom but as they grew they took on the appearance of what I thought were irises.  They still didn't bloom and I figured they were in poor health and I was unlikely to see any flowers at all.  Until this week when I came in the driveway from work and a flash of orange caught my eye.
That's not an iris.  It's a daylily.  Now an unexpected flower usually makes me giddy with happiness and I'd consider it a Triumph.  But, well, I guess I have to confess.  I don't particularly like lilies.

There I said it.

Feel free to throw things at your computer if you like.

I have no defence.  It's just there's flowers that make you smile and some make you go..... meh

I can't be expected to like EVERYTHING can I?  Surely there are others out there who have a plant they secretly can't stand.  Perhaps there's a flower you see everywhere that you think, oh, that again, ho hum.  It's not that I hate lilies.  In fact, I was just looking at Jean's Garden today and she has some really gorgeous photos of her lilies.  But if I had to purchase a plant for my garden, lilies would be at the bottom of the list.

Well, now that I've ruffled your feathers let me divert your attention and show you this Tragedy
That's bindweed choking everything out and having killed the mountain ash in the foreground it's now working on the one in the background.  I am going to have to rip that out piece by piece.  Feeling sorry for me yet?  We'll consider it penance for my comments about lilies.

And here's yet another Tragedy
The white Malva moschata got taken out by the rain and collapsed in a pool all over itself.  I guess this plant requires some staking.  Will need to remember that for next year.

Let's end on a happy note shall we.  If anyone remembers I purchased a small chunk of rhubarb in the spring.  Well look at that rhubarb now.
That's one happy plant.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marguerite, It's too bad they make it so difficult to transport plants across international borders. Otherwise, I'd have an excuse to drive out to PEI and take those daylilies off your hands! :-) We are of one mind in considering bindweed a tragedy. I have never seen it here, but it's a constant problem in my small Gettysburg, PA garden. I'm dreading what I'm going to find there when I return in August after 15 months away. (The only question is whether there will be any garden left under the bindweed.) -Jean

Marguerite said...

Hi Jean, I think one of my issues is that I don't often see lilies used well. Mine are just lumped around the base of some trees and not really effective. I might try moving them in spring and see if I can't make it work. Although it had occurred to me the local plant sale would be happy to take them as donations next spring!

Diana Studer said...

You can avenge yourself by eating the flowers in salad. Very pretty.